Let me introduce myself. I’m Amy Sonnenberg–a mom, nutritionist and small business owner. When Cathy asked
me to contribute to her newsletter, I was thrilled to be able
to chat with you. I love any occasion when I’m able to talk about nutrition, and this is no exception!
Cathy is all about inspiring and empowering you to live your ideal life. In many ways our vision for our clients is exactly the same. We want to see YOU live your best life yet. For Cathy, that may mean helping you find order and a sense of calm in your surroundings. For me, it often means helping people eat healthier in a way that is enjoyable, delicious and easy to do. Nutrition advice can be confusing and sometimes conflicting. I believe that we are all individuals, and our nutrition needs are as unique as we are. My mission is to help you figure out what works best for you and your lifestyle right now.
What are some of my top tips for healthier eating?
- Keep it simple. We aren’t all intended to be culinary celebrities with our own TV shows. There is beauty and freedom in simplicity. What are your favourite foods? Learn to cook them well in a way that is supportive to your overall long term health.
- Plan your meals. I plan for 5 supper meals per week, so that I can still be spontaneous. I don’t usually plan breakfasts because I tend to keep those types of foods in stock. Lunches are often leftovers of some sort.
- Make a grocery list. Check the cupboards before you leave home to make sure you actually have what you think you have. How many times have you gone to the cupboard to get an onion only to realize you are all out or they have spoiled?
- Most of your grocery dollars should be spent on fresh foods such as local produce, meats and cheeses.
- Avoid impulse purchases while at the store. Just because there is caramel sauce beside the apples doesn’t mean that it is a good idea to buy it.
- Drink water! For many of us, most of our day is spent in a dehydrated state. Caffeine is dehydrating. For every one cup of coffee or tea, drink 2 cups of water.
With these tips in mind, you will be well on your way to eating better and making the most of your time in 2015!
Amy Sonnenberg is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist located in the Clock Tower Wellness Centre in Elmira, ON. Life can be complicated. Healthy eating shouldn’t be! Some of the services she provides are personalized nutrition assessments, grocery store tours, wellness seminars and home cooking lessons. You can contact Amy at DesignedForYouNutrition, or call 519-503-7926519-503-7926 for more information.